Are you a Banana lover? I am! I love eating bananas alone as a healthy snack, cut in slices with honey drizzled on top, in cold cereal, with ice cream…I could go on and on.
The other night, I decided to have a banana as my evening’s dessert. Then I thought, I want some type of banana pastry – something with a hint of sweet, slightly crunchy, but soft.
and then The Original Banana Toast Pastry was born…
- 1 Ripe Banana – sliced medium-thin to thin
- 2 Pieces of Artisan Bread
- Spreadable Butter
- Raw Cane Sugar
- Pure Maple Syrup (optional)
- Pre-heat oven on Broil at a 500 degree Fahrenheit temperature.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place bread in oven, buttered side up and toast to a medium-brown for about 1 to 5 mins (this depends on how fast your oven broiler browns)
- Once the 1st side is toasted, butter the other side of each slice and place back in oven for 1 to 5 mins until a medium brown.
- Once toasting is complete, pull bread out of the oven and place sliced Bananas on top of toasted Artisan bread (a half banana for each piece of toast). Make sure bananas around the edges of the bread hang slightly over, to provide a shield to the crust during the remainder of the broiling process.
- Put thin tabs of butter on top of the bananas, until all are covered. You can use as much butter as you want. But use caution. You don’t want a too buttery pastry.
- Sprinkle raw cane sugar all over the top of bananas and butter. Again, you have the choice of how much sugar you want to use. Keep in mind Raw Cane Sugar is sweeter than processed white sugar. But, it’s better for you.
- Place banana toast in the oven.
- After 5 mins exactly, take banana toast out of the oven.
- Drizzle with maple syrup if desired and serve immediately.
You will fall in love with your 1st bite, just like I did.
The butter and raw cane sugar blend together, caramelizing the bananas just perfectly (not mushy or over done). The edges of the banana toast are crunchy, the inside slightly crunchy, yet moist from the butter and natural sweet juice of the bananas combining.
Pure, sweet, rich indulgence!
Enjoy your Banana Toast Pastry by itself, with cool whip or ice cream…Like I did 🙂
P.S. Don’t have time to make your own artisan bread? I like using Sara Lee’s Artesano Bakery Bread.